Hello there all! Hippiest and healthiest of holiday seasons to each and every one of you. Several of my colleagues have recently penned reviews of their past year in not only the blogging, but the speaking, job, and family arenas as well. And after all, while indeed this is a technical blog, work and SQL Server are just small pieces of this puzzle we call life. I thought I’d do the same. Certainly this can become an annual tradition in where every 12 months I get the “pleasure” of a summary of my professional life. This will be an excellent way to gauge both personal and professional undertakings year over year. See, the statistical nerd in me always comes out eventually. So, we brave forward…
- 6.5.10 – SQL Saturday #22 – Pensacola, FL – “Introduction to Transactional Replication”
- 8.8.10 – Blog post – “Grateful DBA Updates”
- 10.4.10 – Blog post – “COUNTing with the DISTINCT Clause”
- 10.16.10 – SQL Saturday #49 – Orlando, FL – “Log Shipping vs. Replication; the Great Debate”
- 10.20.10 – JSSUG Mtg. (Jacksonville SQL Server User’s Group) – “Disaster Recovery for the Modern DBA”
- 10.25.10 – Blog post – “That’s Not My Job…Maybe”
- 12.2.10 – Blog post – “Which is Faster; the Chicken or the Egg?”
- 12.30.10 – Blog post – “2010 – The Grateful DBA Year in Review”
I suppose I should examine this list closely and make some spur-of-the-moment conclusions. Ok then…
Firstly, I’m very happy with the number of times I’ve had the honor of speaking in front of my colleagues and new SQL professionals at the various SQL Saturdays & user group meetings I’ve attended. I consider myself extremely blessed to be asked by the event organizers to have the opportunity to pass along my subject-knowledge seven different occasions in the last 12 months. Looking at it, I’m not sure seven is a number that can be improved upon too much during 2011. There’s only one SQL Saturday per user group per year, and JSSUG rotates it’s speakers and has an excellent pool of local resources to choose from. Some months it seems as if half of Pragmatic Works attends our meetings and that company is chock-full of very smart individuals. I suppose I could travel a little further and attend additional SQL Saturdays (Baton Rogue, Houston, Columbia, etc). As well, there are larger conferences (SQLRally, PASS Summit) that I have yet to attend or speak at; those options are still open as well I guess. I only have so many vacation days people!!
I’m less pleased with the amount of technical articles I posted this year. Nineteen isn’t anywhere nearly enough. There are specific months I’m pretty happy about my output; November for instance. But then there are months that I went completely through without a single post (June, September), and there isn’t ANY valid excuse why not. It’s all a matter of will-power to sit at the desk, turn off Warcraft for a change, and pump out some serious verbosity. This is one area I’m extremely serious about improving over the next 12 months.
Lastly, my new job with LPS. Making the change to come over to LPS from Taleo was one of the easiest things I’ve had to do this year. It’s no surprise to anyone who knows me, how unhappy I was at Taleo. As much as 95% of the people there were very cool and awesome to be around; the other 5% made my life miserable. Names aren’t important; what is, is that I corrected the situation and now I’m in a place I’m MUCH happier professionally. Some days I don’t feel like I’m being tested enough, but then, some days I am, and other days I simply don’t want to. For the most part, I truly like the people I work with here and I’ve made some close friends that I know will be that way for a long time in the future. The only thing I’m less-than-pleased about is the 23 mile journey from the beach where I live to downtown Jacksonville. I could definitely do without that hour to and hour and a half in my car each day, but sometimes one has to make sacrifices. And this is exactly what I did.
Overall, it was a great 2010. My career has moved forward in leaps and bounds, and I’ve had the honor of the company of some of the best SQL minds in the country by my side at SQL Saturdays. In 2011, I resolve to at least double my blogging output and to speak at least the same number of professional events (which btw, will commence with SQL Saturday #62 in a couple weeks in Tampa!)
Mahalo everyone and have a grateful new year…Troy